Western Cape Government writes: “A Cape Town study indicated that adolescents first try either alcohol or cigarettes, followed by dagga (cannabis), then inhalants. Between the ages of 10 to 14 is often when risk-taking and unhealthy coping strategies are developed, for example substance abuse, and the joining of gangs. By the age of 13, one third of youth drinkers have already started, and 14% of cannabis users have started taking the drug regularly.”
Statistics obtained from the Western Cape Education Department (WCED) showed that 478 out of 655 High School Pupils tested positive on a random drug test. Help us change the narrative of our next generation. Badisa Peninsula Social Services is hosting the NEXGEN drug awareness campaign during the month of June. The NEXGEN Drug Awareness Campaign is aimed at creating awareness though the arts. During the month of June, we will run a poetry competition for youth, the winner will be announced at a special Hip Hop event on the 6th of July at the Matroosfontein Civic Centre. Various local Hip Hop artists will be performing at the event together with motivational speaker, Gavin Fortuin.
How can you help us raise awareness?
Share the NEXGEN Awareness posts on social media.
Enter the NEXGEN poetry competition and stand a chance to win R1000 and an opportunity to attend a poetry workshop.
- Write a poem about the effects of substance abuse on our communities
- Email your poem to firstname.lastname@example.org or hand deliver to: Badisa, 91, 6th Str, Elsiesriver.
- Closing date: 26 June 2019, Competition rules apply.
Attend our Hip Hop Event on 6 July 2019, between 10am – 13pm at the Matroosfontein Civic Centre.
A drug free South Africa starts with you.
- Educate yourself and others about the positive and negative effects of alcohol and drugs.
- Drugs and Alcohol is not a permanent solution to your problems. Get help to deal with your problems effectively.
- Join a support group and get help, you are not alone.
- Contact one of our centres for more information. Ramot, Toevlug, ABBA.
How to identify drug abuse.
- Cocaine is a white crystal powder, chips chunks or rocks. Users often show nervous behaviour, restlessness, bloody noses and high energy.
- Methamphetamine is a white or slightly yellow crystal-like powder or large rock-like chunks. Users are often nervous, they have scabs or open sores, show a decrease of appetite and struggle with insomnia.
- Marijuana (Dagga) is a green or grey mixture of shredded flowers and leaves of the hemp plant. Users have red, bloodshot eyes. They have poor memory and show loss of control. They often have a rapid heartbeat, are hungry and show signs of anxiety.
- Khat/Sugars is a leafy, flowery green shrub. Users often have a lack of appetite, and have high levels of energy. They show signs of aggression, psychotic behaviourisms and irritability.
- Heroin is a white or dark brown powder or tar like substance. Users often clench their teeth, have chills or sweat excessively. They are often dehydrated and show signs of anxiety and unusual displays of affection.
Poetry Competition Rules:
- Entrant must be between the age of 13 to 19 in 2019.
- Poem must not be more than 180 words.
- By entering this competition, the entrant agrees that the poem remains the property of the writer, but Badisa will have the authority to share and distribute the poem on various platforms.
- Upon entry, entrant must supply the following personal information: Name, number, age, gender and location.
- The judge’s decision is final.
- The winner will receive R1 000 (one thousand rand) cash and the opportunity to attend a poetry workshop.
- Closing date: 13pm on Wednesday, 26 June 2019.